With Joe Biden having decisively won the presidential race, San Diego County Democrats can already celebrate some major local wins. With all ballots having been counted, here are some of our key victories after a long and challenging campaign year:
- Two years ago, not a single member of the County Board of Supervisors was a Democrat. When the board's new term begins in January, Democrats will hold a majority for the first time ever, thanks to the election of Terra Lawson-Remer and Nora Vargas (who will be the first Latina to serve on the board).
- In another historic win, Todd Gloria is the first person of color and first LGBTQ person elected Mayor of San Diego, and only the second Democrat elected to the position in more than 30 years. San Diego will no longer be the only big city in the U.S. with a Republican mayor.
- A sweep of all the San Diego City Council races on the ballot -- including seats flipped by Marni von Wilpert and Raul Campillo -- means that 8 out of 9 councilmembers in California's second-largest city will be Democrats.
- Tim Nader won the single countywide judicial runoff, adding to our Democratic majority of local Superior Court Judges.
- We held the Democratic supermajorities of our Congressional and State Legislative delegations, and we won back a seat on the County Board of Education.
- We flipped the La Mesa City Council blue, elected a Democratic Mayor of Oceanside (also the first Latina), and picked up seats on the Chula Vista City Council, and Vista City Council.
- We flipped the San Marcos Unified School Board and Encinitas Union School Board to Democratic majorities, won a seat on the Coronado Unified School Board, and turned the Sweetwater Union High School Board all-Democratic.
Not all our candidates made it past the finish line despite their best efforts, and some races are still too close to call. But all of us should be proud of these victories large and small in the year that we finally turned San Diego County blue!
We're grateful to all our endorsed candidates, volunteers, donors, Central Committee members, and staff for helping us organize one of the largest and most successful County Party operations anywhere. The results will positively impact the lives of people throughout the region for many years to come.